Moroccan Chakchouka

The blog has been lacking color lately, so I wanted to make something solely based on vegetables. I came across this traditional Moroccan dish called chakchouka, which is a fancy name for spicy tomatoes and bell peppers. It also exists in Tunisia, where they put fried eggs on top. This is usually served as a salad or a side with pita bread.

Serves 3-4

What you need:

4 green bell peppers
5 ripe tomatoes, diced
4 tbsp olive oil
5 cloves garlic
1/2- 1 red chili pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp parsley

Preheat the oven to 200 C (400 F). Put the bell peppers on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until the skin is lightly charred. Remove from oven and remove the skin (optional). Dice the roasted bell peppers and set aside. In a medium pan on medium heat, sauté the garlic and chili pepper in the olive oil until the garlic becomes golden. Add the chopped tomatoes and spices and sauté for 15 minutes. Then add the diced bell peppers and lemon juice and sauté for another 10 minutes. Serve hot or cold with pita bread or as a side.

Comments

  1. So simple, yet I bet it's incredibly tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chakchouka is amazing! I use tofu and a little bit of turmeric to imitate an egg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am from Algerie and my grandmother would make this in the pan. I don't remember her putting it in the oven. But these recipes take me back to my childhood days in the old coutry.
    Josselyne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turkish Zeytinyagli Mantarli Kuskonmaz

Albanian Jani Me Fasule

Sicilian Caponata