Potica

This bread is eaten in Slovenia and is served primarily during holiday festivities and celebrations. My friend Rok passed the idea of making this along to me, and it turned out great! I decided to make it here in the States while visiting because the walnuts are cheaper. ;)

Serves 6 slices

What you need:

2 tbsp yeast (or two 1/4 oz packages)
1.5 cups soy milk (at room temperature)
egg replacer equal to 4 eggs (I used ener-g)
3.5 cups flour
7 tbsp margarine
5 tbsp soy cream cheese
1.5 cups sugar
2.5 cups ground walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C). In a large bowl, mix together the yeast and the soy milk and let sit for 5 minutes. Mix in the egg replacer and the flour and knead with your hands for a few minutes. Form the dough into a ball and let sit for 30 minutes until it doubles in size.

Meanwhile, make the filling for the bread. Cream together the margarine, cream cheese, and sugar. Add the ground walnuts and mix well.

When the bread has risen, flour a surface and roll out the dough into a large rectangle. Spread the walnut paste onto the rectangle and roll the dough up like a jelly roll. Put the dough into a greased pan (your choice here, everything from bundt cake to bread pans are used for this bread). Press the dough into the pan and bake for 1 hour until slightly brown.

Comments

  1. It's also really good to pack for lunches. I'm Slovenian and every time we go hiking, my aunt hauls a frozen loaf out of the freezer because it's pretty high energy and reasonably healthy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christine! Sounds like a good idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 0mg! I am so happy to find this! My son is vegan and i didn't know how to adapt my potica recipe to vegan! I will try it soon to see if if taste's like my Aunt Mary's! potica is very big here in Cleveland Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, just what I need! I make the treasured family recipe every year (Cleveland roots here, too) but one son's girlfriend is vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turkish Zeytinyagli Mantarli Kuskonmaz

Albanian Jani Me Fasule

Sicilian Caponata